Self Care + Parenting- by Guest Blogger, Katie Mallett
Updated: Apr 7
Let’s face it - self care is more important than ever these days, especially when you’ve got little ones to care for. Parenthood is one of the most rewarding jobs, but research shows most moms + dads agree that it’s more exhausting than their paid jobs! It’s easy to get caught up in taking care of the kids, housework, laundry, errands (the list goes on...), that you forget to prioritize taking some time for yourself.
Self care is a practice that takes intentionality and discipline. It’s easy to put aside your own needs for the needs of your children, but taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of the littles. So, what are some ways to practice self care?
● Set aside time on your calendar - whether it’s every week or a few times a month. If it’s a scheduled time, you’re more likely to follow through and plan ahead to do something for yourself!
● Take a break from screens - we’re all on our phones or computers so much these days. Taking a break without technology is an easy way to decompress.
● Plan a fun night out - whether it’s a date night with your significant other, or a friends' night out, plan something to look forward to!
● Get crafty - there’s something stress relieving about making something with your hands. Consider taking a workshop to learn a new skill (check out Make + Do if you’re local to Atlanta!)
● Consider counseling or therapy - counseling is a great way to practice self care and process through things with a professional. Being a parent can be overwhelming at times, and having a third party to download your feelings with is an important part of staying healthy!
Being a parent is hard work, but practicing self care and building in time for yourself is crucial to staying healthy for your family!
Katie Mallett is the founder of Make + Do. She started Make + Do to help create a more connected community. Make + Do hosts workshops as a way to learn something new in a hands-on way and meet new people. Check out Katie's business on Instagram @makeanddocommunity.